CICC Licensed Canadian Immigration Consultant


janko-ferlic-sfL_QOnmy00-unsplash (1)

Post Graduate Work Permit

Student who graduated from eligible DLI program can apply for Post Graduate Work Permit – PGWP. It is an Open Work Permit, which allows you to work for any employer in Canada as per conditions on work permit. 


The work experience obtained during PGWP can open many pathways to permanent residency in the Canada through eligibility into various Federal and Provincial Nominee Programs. 


Applicants can only apply for one PGWP during their lifetime. The Post Graduate Work Permit is issued for a period of 1 years to a maximum of 3 year based on program duration.


Some of the criteria for applying for PGWP is –


  • Student must have completed the eligible program of minimum 8 months in duration from an eligible DLI leading to a credential – degree, diploma or a certificate
  • Student maintained full-time student status other than the applicable exemptions
  • Student received the official letter of completion and transcript from the eligible DLI


Students have to apply for PGWP within 180 days of graduation – the day you received the official confirmation of program completion or final transcript, whichever is earlier.

Spousal Open Work Permit

Spousal/ Common-law partner of international students, Skilled Workers or PR applicants/residents can be eligible for applying for Open Work Permit if they meet the conditions and eligibility requirements.


The spouse/CLP of a skilled worker may be eligible if the skilled worker meets the following conditions – 

  • Hold a valid work permit or is authorized to work in Canada without a work permit as applicable
  • Is authorized to work for atleast 6 months upon receipt of application
  • Is employed in high skilled occupation – Noc 0, A or B
  • Is physically residing or plans to physically reside while employed in Canada
  • Is in a genuine relationship with applicant


The spouse/CLP of a international student may be eligible if the student meet the following conditions –

  • has a valid study permit
  • Is eligible for PGWP and is a full time student of eligible DLI
  • Is in a genuine relationship with applicant
janko-ferlic-sfL_QOnmy00-unsplash (1)
janko-ferlic-sfL_QOnmy00-unsplash (1)


In order to hire foreign workers, some employer needs to apply for Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), a document issued by Federal government’s Department of Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).


Employers may apply for LMIA under stream for high-wage or low-wage positions depending upon whether the wage offered to the Temporary Foreign Worker at or above provincial or territorial median hourly wage or below.


A positive LMIA document issued to the Employer allows them to hire foreign worker as it demonstrates that there is no permanent resident or Canadian national available currently to fill the position.


Upon receiving the prospective foreign worker can apply for work permit and would generally need the following –

  • A job offer letter
  • A contract
  • A copy of LMIA and the LMIA number