CICC Licensed Canadian Immigration Consultant


Study In Canada

Canada offers safe, diverse and welcoming environment to hundreds of thousands of International students. Canada recognizes the important role international students play in the labor market and growth of the Canadian economy. Due to high quality education and many path to permanent residency, Canada is one of the preferred destinations for international students. 


In 2021, Canada issued approximately 372,000 post graduate work permit to international students who completed their program and applied for it. There were approximately 618,000 international students with valid student permit at the end of 2021. This shows that high demand of Canada as a destination for international students.


To study in Canada, most international student needs to obtain study permit. Not everyone who applies get the study visa; infact the chances of get study visa from certain countries is very low. But, the probability can be increased if, among other factors, the application is done right. We, at DILImmigration, can effectively represent or guide you in your application submission for study visa.

Study Permit

Other than few exceptions, a prospective international student wanting to study in Canada for a program with duration more than 6 months would need to obtain a study permit in order to study. Some of the eligibility requirements are:


  • Student need to get “Letter of Acceptance” (enrolled) in a Designated Learning Institute (DLIs)
  • Have enough funds to pay for tuition, living expenses, return transportation for themselves and other accompanied family members
  • Are in good health. Medical examination may be required 
  • Have no criminal record and obey the law. Police certificate may be required 
  • Prove to the immigration authorities that you would leave upon expiry of study permit

Student Direct Stream

Prospective students with legal residence from certain countries can get faster study permit through the Student Direct Stream. In order to be eligible, the student must meet the following criteria if applying to other than Quebec:


  • Legal resident of following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Vietnam
  • Student need to get “Letter of Acceptance” (enrolled) in a Designated Learning Institute (DLIs)
  • Student is living outside Canada at the time of application
  • Provide proof of payment of tuition amount for the first year of study
  • Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate -GIC for Canadian Dollars $10,000
  • Have either a IELTS academic or general score of 6.0 or higher in each skill – reading, writing, speaking and listening or TEF score equivalent to CLB 7 in each skill – reading, writing, speaking and listening
  • Have a police certificate before applying if required
  • Have a medical exam before applying if required
  • Prove to the immigration authorities that you would leave upon expiry of study permit

Work While Studying

Students on a valid study permit can work upto 20 hours off-campus or full-time in campus without work permit as long as they are meeting the conditions of the study permit. Students can work full-time during the regularly scheduled breaks. 


Students whose study program has not started can not work on study permit. However, if a student is starting a new study program (after completing the previous one), and meet all the requirements following requirements, the student can work-full time –

  • Student was able to work off campus during previous studies

  • Has valid study permit or applied for extension before expiry

  • Confirmed written letter of confirmation of previous study from the school

  • Have received a Letter of Accetance from DLI for a new full-time program

  • Student start the new program within 150 days of completion (confirmation of completion) of the previous program


Student on co-op work permit can work as long as they have a valid study permit; work is required as part of the program, and the co-op or internship placement is not more than 50% of the program of study. For complete details on all the above, please visit the IRCC website.

Student Permit Extension/Restoration

The study permit are usually issued for the duration of the program plus 90 days. The study permit of the student expires on the date marked on the permit or 90 days after completion of the study, whichever comes first. Student are expected to apply at least 30 days before the expiry of the study permit. 


If your study permit expires before your completion of the program, you need to restore your status and apply for the new study permit. Before the new study permit is issued, student must discontinue studying while waiting for the decision. We, at DIL immigration, can help you with your extension/restoration application

Post Graduate Work Permit

Student who graduated from eligible DLI program can apply for Post Graduate Work Permit – PGWP. There are conditions and requirements to be met before you apply for the PGWP – an Open Work Permit, which allows you to work for any employer in Canada as per conditions on work permit. 


The work experience obtained during PGWP can open many pathways to permanent residency in the Canada through eligibility into various Federal and Provincial Nominee Programs.