CICC Licensed Canadian Immigration Consultant


Express Entry

Express Entry is not a program but an electronic application management system to manage application from skilled workers. Applicants submits their profile under Express Entry System and are ranked in the pool according the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

Under the express entry system, the following programs are managed –

  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Federal Skilled Worker Trades Program

The foreign nationals eligible in any of the above program may be eligible to apply under Provincial Nominee Program through Express Entry

Steps –

  1. Check if you are eligible to apply under any of the program
  2. Check your score using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), and gauge if your score are competitive
  3. Get the document ready, if you want to apply
  4. Create your Express Entry Profile 
  5. Apply within 6 months, if you get an invitation to apply (ITA)

Canadian Experience Class

Skilled foreign nationals with Canadian work experience may be eligible under Canadian Experience Class to apply for permanent residence.


Some of the requirement are –


  • Must have the required language ability in each skill – reading, writing, listening and speaking. 
    • For NOC 0 or A jobs, the CLB 7 is required, and for NOC B, CLB 5 is required.
  • Must have 1 year of full-time or equivalent part-time work experience in Canada within last 3 years
  • Must have gained experience under temporary residence status with authorization to work


The work experience as self-employed or gained during the co-op or internship is not counted.

Federal Skilled Worker

Skilled foreign nationals with Foreign work experience may be eligible under Federal Skilled Worker Program to apply for permanent residence.


Some of minimum requirement are –

  • Must have skilled work experience in one of the NOC job groups
    • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
    • Professional jobs (skill level A)
    • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)
  • Must have atleast 1 year of continuous full-time or equivalent part-time experience in the primary occupation within the last 10 years
  • Must have a minimum score of CLB 7 in all 4 abilities – reading, writing, listening and speaking 
  • Must have an education equivalent of Canadian Secondary School or above


Upon meeting the minimum requirements, the applicant has to earn minimum 67 points on selection factors  – age, education, work experience, valid job offer, adaptability

Federal Skilled Trades

Skilled foreign nationals with foreign work experience in trades may be eligible under Federal Skilled Trades Program to apply for permanent residence.

Some of minimum requirement are –

  • Must have atleast 2 years of full-time of equivalent in part-time work experience in trades within 5 years before applying
  • Must meet the job requirement of skilled trade as per NOC except for Certificate of Qualification
  • Must have either a valid job offer of full-time for a duration of atleast 1 year or a Certificated of Qualification issued by requisite government authority
  • Must have a minimum score of CLB 5 in speaking and listening ability and CLB 4 in reaching and writing
  • Must have required funds unless currently legally working in Canada or have a valid job offer
  • Must have skilled work experience in one of the NOC job groups
    • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
    • Professional jobs (skill level A)
    • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)

The skilled Work Experience must be under the following NOC –

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

Provincial Nominee Program

Provincial Nominee Program allows the provinces and territories to nominate workers who meet their criteria in terms of skills, education or work experience, and who have intention to reside in the province and become permanent residents. 


There are two steams under PNP –


  1. Non-Express Entry –
    • The foreign national needs to meet the eligibility criteria for the province, and apply under the non-express entry process
    • If nominated, the foreign national applies for the permanent residency to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) 


  1. Through Express Entry –
    • It involves creating an express entry profile
    • If the applicant is nominated through express entry system, the applicant get 600 CRS points which effectively guarantees the chance of getting an Invitation to apply (ITA) for the permanent residency

Family Sponsorship

One of the objectives of Canadian Immigration Policy is to reunite family in Canada. Through Family Sponsership your relatives and family members can become permanent residents of Canada, and can study, live and work in Canada. 


Certain relatives can be sponsored if the sponsor, apart from other criteria, is 

  • Atleast 18 years of age
  • Is a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
  • Able to take care of the basic needs of the sponsored person
  • Not receiving social assistance for reason other than disability 


Family sponsorship could be – 

  • Spouse/Common Law Partner
  • Dependant Children
  • Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

Spouse or Partner

A Canadian Citizen/Permanent resident can sponsor their Spouse/ Common-law Partner/ Conjugal Partner to become Permanent resident of Canada. 

To sponsor spouse, the spouse must be –

  • Legally married to the sponsor
  • Atleast 18 years of age

To Sponsor Common-Law Partner, the “CLP” must be

  • Living with sponsor for atleast 12 months consecutive in a conjugal relationship, and not married to the sponsor
  • Atleast 18 years of age

To Sponsor Conjugal Partner, the Conjugal Partner must be

  • Not married or in Common-Law Relationship to the sponsor
  • Atleast 18 years of age
  • Lives Outside Canada and in relationship with the sponsor for atleast 1 years, and was unable to live with the sponsor because of immigration or legal reasons

Dependent Children

Dependent Children of your own or of your Spouse/Comon-Law Partner can be sponsored to become Canadian Residents. The following is the definition of dependent children –

  • The child must be under 22 years of age, and
  • The child must not have a spouse/common-law partner

However, Children who are 22 years or older may qualify as dependant if they meet the following two conditions – 

  • Their physical or mental condition makes them unable to support themselves financially
  • Their financially dependency on their parents existed before they were 22 year of age and is continuing

Please note the dependent children(grandchildren of the sponsor) of the dependant children  are also eligible for sponsorship

Parents & Grandparents

A Canadian Citizen/Permanent resident can sponsor their Parent and Grandparents if the sponsor meet the following conditions –

  • If the sponsor get the invitation to apply from IRCC
  • The sponsor is atleast 18 years of age and live in Canada
  • The sponsor has enough money to support the sponsored persons – parent and/or grandparents
  • Meet under conditions as per the IRPA and IRPR


The process to sponsor parents and grandparents may be different each year. Generally, the following are the steps – 

  • IRCC opens the “Interest to Sponsor” application form
  • Sponsor submits the Interest to Sponsor form, and get a confirmation number
  • If the sponsor receive the invitation to apply, they submit the application 
    • Application to become sponsor
    • Application of Permanent Residence for parents and grandparents as the case may be