CICC Licensed Canadian Immigration Consultant


Family Sponsorship

One of the objectives of Canadian Immigration Policy is to reunite family in Canada. Through Family Sponsership your relatives and family members can become permanent residents of Canada, and can study, live and work in Canada. 


Certain relatives can be sponsored if the sponsor, apart from other criteria, is 

  • Atleast 18 years of age
  • Is a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
  • Able to take care of the basic needs of the sponsored person
  • Not receiving social assistance for reason other than disability 


Family sponsorship could be – 

  • Spouse/Common Law Partner
  • Dependant Children
  • Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship


A Canadian Citizen/Permanent resident can sponsor their Spouse/ Common-law Partner/ Conjugal Partner to become Permanent resident of Canada. 

To sponsor spouse, the spouse must be –

  • Legally married to the sponsor
  • Atleast 18 years of age

To Sponsor Common-Law Partner, the “CLP” must be

  • Living with sponsor for atleast 12 months consecutive in a conjugal relationship, and not married to the sponsor
  • Atleast 18 years of age

To Sponsor Conjugal Partner, the Conjugal Partner must be

  • Not married or in Common-Law Relationship to the sponsor
  • Atleast 18 years of age
  • Lives Outside Canada and in relationship with the sponsor for atleast 1 years, and was unable to live with the sponsor because of immigration or legal reasons

Dependent Children


Dependent Children of your own or of your Spouse/Comon-Law Partner can be sponsored to become Canadian Residents. The following is the definition of dependent children –

  • The child must be under 22 years of age, and
  • The child must not have a spouse/common-law partner


However, Children who are 22 years or older may qualify as dependant if they meet the following two conditions –

  • Their physical or mental condition makes them unable to support themselves financially
  • Their financially dependency on their parents existed before they were 22 year of age and is continuing


Please note the dependent children(grandchildren of the sponsor) of the dependant children  are also eligible for sponsorship

Parents & Grandparents

A Canadian Citizen/Permanent resident can sponsor their Parent and Grandparents if the sponsor meet the following conditions –

  • If the sponsor get the invitation to apply from IRCC
  • The sponsor is atleast 18 years of age and live in Canada
  • The sponsor has enough money to support the sponsored persons – parent and/or grandparents
  • Meet under conditions as per the IRPA and IRPR


The process to sponsor parents and grandparents may be different each year. Generally, the following are the steps – 

  • IRCC opens the “Interest to Sponsor” application form
  • Sponsor submits the Interest to Sponsor form, and get a confirmation number
  • If the sponsor receive the invitation to apply, they submit the application 
    • Application to become sponsor
    • Application of Permanent Residence for parents and grandparents as the case may be